Pages

Monday 27 July 2015

A simple top

Well, how is everyone today? If you're anywhere in Scotland I expect you'll be rusting by now as it's rained all day and been quite chilly. But....I've just started two weeks of annual leave so you know what that means....yes! expect lots more sewing posts. Here's a quick make I cut out last Monday. I also have another unclogged finished piece I need to blog. This week, I promise!

So, this is the third top I've made from a free pattern I got when I bought an issue of Sew magazine. It's New Look 6217 I've made here and here. It's probably worked better in a woven fabric than the jersey of the plain cream top! You never stop learning!

So, this fabric is one I bought on holiday in Portugal. There was about 1 metre and there's still a bit left. There would have been more if I hadn't made bias binding for the neckline but the finish is on the neckline is worth it. I think I'll need to wear a camisole underneath as the fabric is quite thin but that's fine. With the sun behind it, it would be too see through for my comfort and probably that of onlookers too!

So here's a close up of the neck. There's really not much to this top, front and back cut on the fold, self made binding on the neckline, sleeve and body hems turned up twice and machined. Nothing fancy here! But I like the colours and I'm sure it'll be a good wardrobe staple....if summer comes back at all *stares wistfully across the Firth of Forth*....

2 comments:

  1. Pretty fabric, and in my opinion, you can't beat a good simple top!! Lovely to meet you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for organising the meet-up, thoroughly enjoyed it. yes, simple tops are great to throw on without too much thought!

      Delete