Pages

Tuesday 14 June 2016

A Sutton blouse


Oh how I love this top! I love absolutely everything about it...the length, the depth of the neckline and how it doesn't flop forward into a 'wardrobe malfunction' if you lean forward, the fabric, the finishing, the hi-lo hem and yes, the challenge it gave me. More of that later. So there we have it, I really like this pattern...*hovers over Publish button'...but...I know you'd like some more details so here we go.

This is not a picture heavy post, by the way. I took these photos a few weeks ago on the Sutton's inaugural voyage outdoors so I just need to get the bloomin' thing blogged! I've washed and worn the blouse twice already.

I've had my eye on the True Bias Sutton blouse pattern for a wee while and then there came a time when I thought I needed some more summer top patterns as the ones I have feel a bit same-y. Yes, dear readers, I purchased the PDF.

I already had 2 metres of this 100% polyester John Kaldor 150cm wide fabric hovering at the top of my 'to sew' list but no pattern leaping out at me until the Sutton.

This pattern takes quite a reasonable amount of fabric. I can't remember if I cut a size 10 or 12 but the fabric requirement for both sizes is around 1.6m and I lengthened the body by 2". I didn't make any other adjustments to the pattern. Basically I used up most of those 2 metres I had.


The neck edge is finished with bias binding made from the fabric. It has kimono sleeves and a yoke so there are huge possibilities for 'doing your own thing' with this pattern and ending up with very different garments each time. I particularly like this version with a lace yoke so you may see my version in the future.

The challenge for me was that it's constructed throughout using French seams. Hey hey, that was a surprise! I've never sewn French seams before but there's nothing like having to just get on with it so I slowed right down and...followed the pattern! Who knew that would work out so well, ha ha! Accuracy (and following the instructions too) was the key when you're sewing teeny-tiny seams and not the hefty 15mm seam allowance I like to charge my way through in a cavalier manner. Having said all that, because you're sewing each seam twice, it does take a little longer to sew up than 'normal' but you're also aware that you're sewing a good quality garment. I found the whole process very satisfying. All of this careful sewing has resulted in a lovely top that fits really well. There will be more!


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your fabric! I love a pullover woven top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly, I love the fabric, absolutely love it, even though it's polyester! I think the print outweighs the polyester.I'm like a magpie for anything bright and loud!

      Delete
  2. This is lovely Joyce and a great pattern for such lovely blouses. I have not purchased this pattern as I have a similar StyleArc pattern but I have seen so many lovely Sutton blouses that I have almost given in and bought it. You will get a lot of use out of this pattern plus become an expert at French seaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marjorie, the French seams were a surprise but I did enjoy the discipline of slowing down! I think the results were worth it too. I will be making more.

      Delete