Pages

Thursday 14 July 2016

More New Look 6217


Oh what a wonderful pattern New Look 6217 is! I've lost count of how may tops I've made with it...and look! here's two more that I made for my recent holiday to Prague and Vienna. Yes, we were in Europe (Vienna actually) when the Brexit vote was announced. What can I say? Stunned, shocked, gutted, angry, totally fascinated by UK politics (never thought I'd EVER say that!) and wondering how the hell all of this is going to pan out...especially as I live in Scotland which adds another 'interesting' dimension to the situation too! So, back to the halcyon days of pre-Brexit when I went a bit mad before our holiday and decided I HAD to sew some tops because I didn't have ANY! Not quite true but you know how it is...

I now always eliminate the back neck slit, button and button loop as they're just not needed. I used bias binding for both tops at the neck. For the magenta top I also used bias binding for the sleeves. For the patterned top I overlocked the edges, turned them back and sewed the hem up with a straight stitch. The hems for both tops I overlocked the raw edge then using my sewing machine sewed a line of stitching 2cm from the edge. Fold up the 2cm hem along the stitching, it's much easier to do and creates a smooth finish when you have a curved hem edge. Press along the folded edge all around, then using the sewing machine stitch around the hem. Press again. Yes, I'll admit it, I'm addicted and obsessional about pressing and...confession time...I even press stay stitching!


I bought the patterned fabric in the John Lewis sale a few months ago. It's quite light weight and is 100% viscose. The magenta crepe I also bought in John Lewis, not in the sale, and it's 100% polyester. I just love the colour though.

So I did take these tops on holiday (sometimes it doesn't quite work out that way, does it?) and wore them both. I just love this pattern and there will be more of them on this blog although I will try to blog multiple garments to save your boredom. It amazes me how different each of the finished tops look depending on the fabric and print used.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this top. Thanks for introducing me to the pattern just put it on my "to get List".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye, I've only recently been thinking that I should also sew the other garments in this pattern. Just been too distracted by the top! I've got a couple of weeks holiday off work soon so the sewing (and blogging!) output should increase quite a lot!

      Delete
  2. What pretty fabrics for these lovely and very useful tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Marjorie! You know how much I love a good top and a good print! The thing is, I now realise I need to sew some plain coloured tops and skirts to co-ordinate with all the lovely patterned fabric tops I have. Something to work on over the next few weeks!

      Delete
  3. These are so gorgeous! I may have to replicate that magenta top. :)

    ReplyDelete