Pages

Wednesday 3 August 2016

Lots of Named patterns Alpi Chinos


Well, it seems I've developed a bit of a habit for making a pattern....and then making lots more versions of it. I needed some new linen trousers for going on holiday at the end of June. We went to Prague and Vienna so I knew it could potentially be very warm at that time of year. And for the most part it was and we had temperatures of 36 degrees. After the success of Named Jamie jeans, I thought I'd have another look at the Named website and ended up buying the Alpi Chino pattern. Yes...Alpi Chino sounds like Al Pacino to me too!

The pattern is for non stretch light or mid-weight woven fabrics. Linen was one of the suggested fabrics. Great! I made a few alterations to the pattern before cutting out, I added 1.5" to the front rise and 1.25" to the back rise. I also increased the leg length by 4". These are the same adjustments I make to the Jamie jeans pattern. I also had to take in the centre back seam quite a bit but that's normal for me.


I love the front pockets and the back pockets. I wanted ALL the details on these trousers! The first pair I made was using some Essex Linen, I think it's a Robert Kaufman fabric, that I bought from John Lewis in Edinburgh. It's a 50% linen and 50% cotton blend which I pre-washed before cutting out. I used a jeans button from my stash, a metal jeans zip and added some rivets to the back pockets too. I like the coppery colour of the rivets and button compared with the fabric colour.


So, I was very pleased with how these turned out and decided to make some more! The next pairs were using a black linen that I bought from John Lewis and some kakhi linen I bought from Edinburgh Fabrics. I'm really pleased with both those pairs too! 

  
Can you see the four piece curved waistband? It's utterly brilliant and I love it! It fits so well. I used to hate waistbands so much because they didn't fit me at all and gaped. Now I know that curved waistbands are great and fit me so well and are the only way forward for me.


Em...confession time. Did you see the cream top I made throughout this post? Yep, it's yet another New Look 6217. I used cream polyester triple crepe but I thought I'd need to wear a camisole underneath so I lined it using cupro lining. This lining says do not wash/dry clean but I just wash it in a silk or wool wash in my washing machine, using an appropriate delicates liquid soap and it's always worked for me. The only thing is, if you let it fully dry out after washing, you will never iron all the creases out of it. That seems a small price to pay when you can just chuck it in the washing machine (either intentionally or unintentionally!).

7 comments:

  1. All three pairs of these Alpi Chinos are great. Isn't it good when a pattern works out so well as these pants do. I hope you enjoyed your holiday in Prague and Vienna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three pairs of these Alpi Chinos are great. Isn't it good when a pattern works out so well as these pants do. I hope you enjoyed your holiday in Prague and Vienna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a great basic to have and I think much as I love sewing up all the lovely patterned tops, I do need to sew some bottoms too! This is a good pattern and if you've used the Named Jamie jeans pattern this is a very similar one as far as alterations are concerned. So it doesn't seem like you're starting from zero as you would with a new pattern.

      The holiday in Praguue and Vienna was great and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Two lovely cities with lots to see and do and also some lovely hot weather and sunshine, sometimes too hot for sightseeing though!

      Delete
  3. All good basics that are stylish and well fitted. I too make multiples when I find a good pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if you've taken the time to make lots of alterations before you even start cutting out, it seems a good thing to save time and make multiples. If you like how it turned out, of course! I feel I've got the non stretch woven trousers pattern sussed!

      Delete
  4. These are lovely, must have a look at that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, it's a good pattern and I still have some linen fabric for another pair, waiting in the sidelines! Might be a future project next year though. I've had a mooch about the sewing corner and discovered I bought the paper pattern. I figure if it cost £15 I might as well get maximum value from it and make lots of pairs!

      Delete